Rose Gardens of Al Jabal Al Akhdar
Over the centuries rose distillers in Jabal Al Akhdar wait for the spring season for the earliest blooms of rose “Rosa Damascena”. The man made rose terraces in the villages of Al Ain, Al Shiraijah, Al Aqur & Saiq are covered in pink with native roses, and the aroma of the rose water mixes with the air by the local distilleries in the mountain. The rose water is kept in clay urns for ninety days until the distillation process is complete.
Rose water is used as a home fragrance and is also known for its medicinal properties. People use to dab few drops of rose water as remedy for headache, or even drink the floral liquid to cure a stomachache.Early mornings and late afternoons the rose harvesters scatter amongst their terraces, harvesting the roses, while distillers are busy in preparation of the golden nectar.
The rose harvesting season begins during mid March and continues until mid May.
Rose season highlights
- The season sets mid March till mid May
- The farms are very close from our hotel
- You may walk to the rose gardens
- Complimentary trip to the rose water distillers upon prior booking
- The trip duration will be about 2 hours (from hotel - back to hotel)